Different Species of Fish: Paper

What We Did

This was one of At the beginning of the lesson we went over different fish species. We talked about the evolution of fish and how they looked different in the earlier years. After we learned about various fish types we looked at how to make paper more interesting. We then looked at different ways that you can cut, fold, and crinkle paper to make it look unique. Then we created our own unique fish by using different pieces of paper. I used a spiral cut for the yellow piece, crinkle folds for my sea weed, and I made curls by using the edge of my scissors. My fish also has a crinkly fin at the top of his body.


Extension Activity

For an extension activity I would use the jigsaw method for a fish research project. I would place students into groups of four. Each student would be tasked with a fish. I would use Koi, Salmon, Angelfish, and Catfish. Each student would research their fish and find out what their habitat is, what type of water they live in (ocean, pond, lake, fresh vs. salt), what they eat, and what their physical appearance is. After they have found their information they would have to make an infographic describing their fish. The students would then come back together and teach each other about the fish they were assigned. At the end of the lesson they would all come back together in a large group and we would close by going over the characteristics of the four fish as a class.





Comments

Popular Posts