Dot Day!

What We Did

Dot day is an international celebration of creativity and courage in schools. Teachers across the world read the book "The Dot" by Peter Reynolds while celebrating creativity. The book shares the message of how one person's creativity can influence many. Teachers around the world come up with various activities for Dot Day. In our class we all created different dots using coffee filters. We used water colors, sharpies, and oil pastels to create our own dots. I wrote my name with white crayon first and then out the water color over it. The oil and the water do not mix so that name stayed white. I used sharpies to draw my images because they do not bleed with the water.

Extension Activity

After reading "The Dot" I would ask students to share something creative that they were inspired by. I would then pass out paper cut into different size circles. They would each get three different sizes to design. They will paint their dots using only circular items. I will have milk jug caps, lids, various sized buttons, pennies, and other small circular objects. They will then dip the objects into paint and create a design using all circles on their paper circle. After everyone has finished their three circles we will create a mural in our classroom using them. I would put "We are all unique and creative in our own ways" above the mural.



 

Comments

Popular Posts