Safari Adventure

What We Did

I made glasses using a thin red PVC sheet and construction paper. I had a template that I used to trace the construction paper to make the glasses. I then put glue on the red piece of PVC paper and glued it to the back of the glasses.

Next I took a light blue pencil and drew a safari animal by looking at a reference image. I learned that turning a reference image upside down helps the brain copy images better. I chose to draw an elephant using this method. 

I then created a pattern of warm colors over the elephant. After the paper was covered I glued it onto construction paper and put three hints to what the animal is. The second image shows that you can see the elephant when you have on red goggles. 





      Here is what it looks like when you have goggle on!

Extension Activity

As an extension I would pick a few animals out and talk more about them. I would go over their habitats, what and how they eat, if they are endangered, and who their predators are. This would give students a better idea about which animal they would like to choose as their reference. They will also already know about each animal so they will easily be able to come up with their hints for it. Students can write down their facts in a science journal or on a poster. 

This is also a great animal brain break that I could use during this lesson to integrate physical activity: 



 

Comments

Popular Posts